PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FEBRUARY 2014
NEW JUDICIAL MEMBER APPOINTED TO
THE QC APPOINTMENTS SELECTION PANEL
A new judicial member has been appointed to the QC Appointments Selection Panel.
Lord Justice Maurice Kay is the new member. He has been a Lord Justice of Appeal since 2004, and Vice President of the Court of Appeal since 2010. After spending some time in academic posts, he was called to the Bar in 1975. He was appointed QC in 1988 and became a High Court judge in 1995.He chaired the Judicial Studies Board from 2007- 2010 and was Treasurer of Gray’s Inn in 2013.
Commenting on the appointment, Stephen Crowne and Desmond Hudson, the Chief Executives of the Bar Council and the Law Society, said:
‘We are extremely pleased to welcome Sir Maurice Kay to the QC Appointments Selection Panel. He is extremely well qualified both from his work as a senior judge and from his involvement with the work of the Judicial Appointments Commission and his knowledge and skills will reinforce the QC Appointments process. We look forward to another successful Silk round as we proceed with the 2014-15 competition.’
Notes to editors:
1. The other QC Selection Panel members for 2014-15 will be:
• Helen Pitcher (Chairman – appointed 2012, appointed lay member 2009)
• Sir Alex Allan (lay member – appointed 2013)
• Sir Alistair Graham (lay member – appointed 2011)
• Linda Lee (senior solicitor member – appointed 2011)
• Martin Mann QC (senior barrister member – appointed 2013)
• Quinton Quayle (lay member – appointed 2013)
The Selection Panel will be completed with the appointment of a senior solicitor member and a senior barrister member, to be announced shortly.
2. The Selection Panel is made up of a senior judge, senior lawyers (including both barristers and solicitors) and distinguished lay (not legally qualified) people. The work of the Panel is shared equally between lay and legally qualified members. The Panel Chair is always a lay member. . .
3. For further information please contact the QC Appointments Secretariat on 020 7831 0020